It is critical that you establish a strong rapport with your attorney. Many of the problems clients have with their attorneys stem from miscommunication. If you are concerned by your attorney’s representation, let the lawyer know. Sometimes, all it takes is a simple call to an attorney’s assistant.

If you do not receive a satisfactory response, take it further. Sit down in a quiet place and write out the questions you want answered. Then, call your attorney’s office and ask for an appointment with your attorney. Show up on time with your written questions and ask them. Listen carefully to the answers and see if your concerns are alleviated. Face-to-face contact is often the best way to resolve basic issues.

Attorney- Client RelationshipIn some cases, clients have unrealistic expectations. Oftentimes, clients conclude that the attorney is not “on their side.” Clients should remember that attorneys are required to answer objectively. They will tell you the facts, which are not always what you want to hear.

Of course, you can still always switch attorneys. Different lawyers may have different views on your case. If you tell an attorney to stop working on your case, he is ethically obligated to stop working. However, this does not mean that you don’t have to pay your attorney. Make sure that you understand the contract you signed before terminating the relationship.

Many attorneys use what is called a contingent-fee contract. In this contract, you agree to pay a certain percentage of your compensation recovery to your attorney. In Texas, if you end your contingency contract with one attorney and begin another with another attorney, you owe both attorneys. In other words, you would owe two separate fees. Oftentimes, attorneys may work out an agreement and split one fee. However, this does not always happen.

If you believe your attorney has done something wrong, you can always complain to the State Bar of Texas about the lawyer. This complaint can be filed in the form of a grievance. Once you have completed it, you can mail it to the State Bar Chief Disciplinary Counsels office. The address is on the form.
Just remember, filing a grievance is a serious matter. You should make every attempt to work out your problems with your attorney first. If you would like to explore our attorney services, contact us HERE for a free consultation.