Compensation Claims for Bicycle Accident Injuries in Austin
Riding a bicycle is a fun and healthy activity that is appropriate for all ages. However, the pleasure of riding a bike can take a dreadful turn when a serious accident occurs. It can take away all the joy of the experience and lead to unnecessary medical costs. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 467,000 cyclists are involved in bicycle accidents every year. Some of the cyclists involved experience severe injuries and may incur substantial medical bills as a result.
Medical treatment for the injuries incurred in a bicycle accident may also lead to expensive future medical bills. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were more than 850 cyclist fatalities in 2018, which accounts for 2.3% of all the traffic-related fatalities in the same year. Of all of these fatalities across the United States, 71 of them occurred in Austin. The data also reveals that the injury rate is higher for men than for women. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you should know that you have the legal right to seek compensation from the party at fault.
Bicycle Accident Injuries
Cycling’s health benefits are one of the leading reasons for the increased popularity of bicycles these days. However, the poorly constructed roads and other risk factors can lead to crashes and deaths. The data reveal that children often suffer in bicycle accidents. A collision with a car or another bike can lead to severe complications, such as head injuries. A bicyclist taking the proper preventative measures and is wearing a helmet in the crash is likely to suffer fewer injuries. The injuries involved in bicycle-related crashes can vary from minor to severe. You must seek medical attention and consult a bicycle accident lawyer Austin trusts to seek get compensation for your injuries. Here are some of the common injuries that occur in bicycle-related accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Fractured bones
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Head injuries
- Back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
Bicycle accidents can also cause a slip and fall injury that can lead to serious complications that may last a long time. For example, if there is excess snow accumulation on the road, the cyclist can slip and fall. This can result in an auto accident in which any other vehicle on the road collides with a bicycle. Bicyclists have two options to receive compensation for their injuries:
- One way is to reach out to their own insurance agency and file a personal injury protection claim to receive the compensation. Your health insurance may also cover such types of accidents. Therefore, it is important to review your insurance documents to understand them better.
- The other way is by filing a legal claim against the person responsible for the accident. You can take the legal route and file a lawsuit against the person or entity. You can negotiate the settlement with them or take the case to court.
Before taking your case to court, it is important to ensure that you have all of the necessary documents and evidence to prove the other party’s liability. You must also have evidence to prove that you had not contributed to causing the bicycle accident.
Types of Compensation for Bicyclists Injured in an Accident
A cyclist can seek compensation for different types of harm and damage caused to them in an accident. Here are the common types of damages for which an injured cyclist may seek compensation following a bicycle-related accident:
- Medical bills. You can recover compensation for hospital bills, doctors’ visits, diagnostic tests, and other medical treatments. If the accident led to long-term injuries, you would also be able to recover compensation for future medical bills.
- Lost income. You can recover compensation for the income that you lost because of the injury. You can also recover compensation for the income that you may lose in the future because of the damage. You may have to miss work for a few days. The compensation claim will provide the necessary financial assistance. This is why it is so important to get in touch with an Austin bicycle accident attorneyto initiate the process as soon as you can.
- Property damage. The compensation you seek can also include payment for damages caused to your bicycle or other personal property.
- Pain and suffering. You can also recover compensation for the pain, suffering, and emotional damage caused due to the accident.
Proving Liability in Your Bike Accident Claim
It is essential to prove the other party’s liability to receive compensation in a bicycle accident case. If you do not have any evidence to prove the liability, you probably do not have a viable claim. Here are some of the pieces of evidence that can help you prove the liability:
- Police reports. Many bike accident victims fail to report the incident to the police in a timely manner. When you file a report, the police will also take the necessary action and investigate. Reporting it to the police will strengthen your case and help you prove the other party’s liability. Whether you have sustained minor or major injuries, you must consider reporting the incident to the police. You can either call the police or visit the nearest police station.
- Eyewitnesses. These are the people who witnessed the bike accident and can provide information about what happened. After the accident, you must try and get the contact details of the eyewitnesses. It can play a crucial role in proving the other party’s liability and take you one step closer to getting the compensation you deserve.
- Photograph. You should consider taking photographs of the scene and any vehicle involved. Take images and videos from different angles, and save them as a record.
- Traffic camera and CCTV footage. All of the footage may have been captured on a dashboard camera or another camera on the road. You can use this as evidence to prove the liability of the party at fault.
- Medical records. The diagnostic tests and imaging results may provide insight into how the accident occurred. This is the reason why you should seek immediate medical attention if you have been involved in a bicycle accident.
Talk to a reputable attorney and discuss your case!
If you were hit by an uninsured driver, you will have to file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurer. You can get in touch with Austin bicycle accident lawyers to learn more about the options available to you. Your attorney will be available to you throughout the process to handle your case appropriately. Consulting a lawyer can save your time and help you get a speedy claim.