Truck Accident Law and Procedures in the San Antonio TX
Statistics show that around 3000-4000 people die during collisions with large commercial trucks every year in the United States. This figure is even more significant when it comes to people who get injured or suffer damage to their vehicles or property in a truck accident.
Hence, if you live in the U.S., you need to stay up-to-date with the truck accident laws in the country and your state. Additionally, if you stay in San Antonio, you can talk to our Truck Accident Attorney San Antonio.
The way you handle the truck accident scenario matters a lot. Though an accident involving a huge commercial truck can be fatal, we should act wisely. Keeping calm, avoid confusion and take all precautionary steps on time. These actions can play a significant role and can affect your claim adversely. As a result, you may get less compensation amount that you are entitled to receive.
What to do if you are in a Truck Accident?
Well, sometimes an accident is inevitable and unavoidable on the road. In such cases, one should not panic and follow specific rules to ensure that the following legal and administrative procedures can take place smoothly. So, if you find yourself in an automobile or truck accident, here are a few steps that you must follow, irrespective of which state you are in the United States.
- Stop – If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, major or minor, don’t drive away. You must stop. Do not leave the accident spot unless you talk to the other driver or police.
- Stay Calm – Yes, it is a stressful situation. But you need to stay calm to handle all the procedures well.
- Move out of traffic’s way – If you have sustained minor injuries and can still drive, it is advisable to move to the side of the road to allow the flow of traffic. If the vehicle cannot move, stay inside with your seatbelts on until help arrives. Also, remember to turn on the hazard lights.
- Call for Medical Assistance- If you have any severe injuries, a boarding ambulance is critical. Serious traffic collisions can injure many people. Some people can experience medical issues months after the crash. Hence, calling for medical help is crucial.
Only a medical expert can tell you if you have an internal injury or not. Suppose you have a minor injury in an accident, but hours/days/ months later, a bone was found fractured. In this case, if you boarded an ambulance on the day of accident, you can get maximum compensation.
- Contact the Police– Call the police right from the accident spot. Unless you are specially trained to handle such situations, do not move an injured person, or perform any medical procedure. Dial 911 and report the collision to a law enforcement officer.
- Do Not Discuss Accident Specifics with Anyone – You should only divulge the details of the accident to the police. Be cooperative, but do not admit fault to the driver or the police. To discuss more on this, you can talk to our truck accident lawyer San Antonio.
- Document the accident – This is a step that will help you in the future. So, if you have not been seriously injured, take and keep photographs of the damage caused to the vehicles involved, the road conditions, the traffic lights, the intersection site, and anything else you think is relevant.
Keep in writing the details related to the incident. For example, date and time, people involved, their names, addresses, the contact numbers, the names of the witnesses and their details, and also the details of the police officers.
Truck Accidents Laws
The Federal and state laws govern the trucking industry and have set specific rules and regulations that are to be followed by all truck drivers and companies. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) are the two federal agencies that take care of this department.
The following are a few laws that have been set by these two departments and are to be followed by all truck drivers.
- All truck drivers must have a commercial driving license.
- All truck drivers must follow the “hours of service” law that states how long the drivers can drive and rest.
- The trucks must be tested for quality. All the commercial vehicles are regulated in repairs and manufacturing to ensure that there is no discrepancy in quality. If a defect in the truck caused your accident, then you have the right to file a case against the manufacturer, repairer, or supplier of the truck.
- If you are carrying hazardous waste, you must follow the regulations set by the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety (OHMS) while taking the same.
If the truck driver has not followed any of the above rules and you are injured in a truck accident In San Antonio TX, you can contact us, and we can help you deal with the case.
Contact an experienced Truck Accident Lawyer San Antonio
Not all attorneys can handle truck accident cases. Hence, if you face a commercial truck accident and get injured, it is imperative to contact an experienced truck accident attorney.
Trucking companies and their insurers usually try to defend the truck driver and other relevant authorities.
The Law Offices of Jason Khattar are highly-experienced, skilled, and well-prepared to handle truck accident cases. We can gather all the necessary documents to prove the truck driver is at fault.
If you don’t have a reasonable truck accident attorney by your side, attorneys from the driver’s side will likely use your lack of knowledge about the trucking industry. They will then try to avoid liability. Most people will receive less compensation just because they do not have a knowledgeable truck accident attorney.
For this reason, you should contact a truck accident attorney from The Law Offices of Jason Khattar as soon as possible. We will help you determine who is at fault for your truck accident. Depending on which party is at fault, your compensation may vary.
As the driver of a truck or any other vehicle, you are liable to follow secured driving. According to the law, all drivers and pedestrians should obey traffic rules. When any person doesn’t follow these laws, and a truck collision happens, the culprit will be punished. And the victim will get compensation for the loss.
Crashes with truck involvement involve serious injuries. But from a legal aspect, Truck accidents are not at all straightforward like car accident cases. The process of handling truck accidents is different, and this is what our truck accident lawyers are capable of.
The law offices of Jason Khattar has years of experience. Our experts are proficient in handling truck accident cases. Feel free to book a consultation.