Texas Pedestrian Statistics
Motor vehicle accidents involving pedestrians are on the rise in Texas. As of 2019, according to the Texas Department of Transportation, pedestrians accounted for 1 in 5 of all traffic fatalities. That same year, Texas saw 5,975 accidents involving pedestrians with a shocking 669 fatalities and 1,317 serious injuries.
Despite significant government investment in safety infrastructures such as improved sidewalks, curbs, and safety markings, the numbers continue to rise. If you or a loved one have been injured in a pedestrian accident in the greater Houston area, contact one of the experienced Houston accident attorneys at Khattar Law, PC today.
What Are The Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
The primary causes of the pedestrian accidents, according to the Texas Department of Transportation, are:
- Pedestrians failing to heed traffic safety laws and subsequently being hit by a moving vehicle;
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way;
- Distracted driving;
- Speeding; and
- Driver intoxication.
The most common injuries sustained by pedestrians in accidents with motor vehicles include:
- Broken bones – When a moving vehicle strikes a pedestrian, it is often below the waist. Thus damage to bones in the hips, legs, knees, and feet is common.
- Internal injury – This can include internal organ damage, fractured ribs, internal bleeding, abdominal aorta aneurysm, or collapsed lung.
- Lacerations, cuts, and burns – This can stem from contact with the moving vehicle, flying glass or debris, or contact with the pavement.
- Traumatic brain injury – When the head collides with a moving vehicle or the road surface, the chance for traumatic brain injury is high.
- Spinal cord injury – Damage to the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar portions of the spine is common in pedestrian accidents.
- Neck injury – This can include whiplash-type injuries to the soft tissues, slipped and herniated discs, as well as fractures and compressions.
Main Steps to Take if You Have Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident
The moments following a pedestrian accident can be scary, stressful, and disorienting. Regardless, staying calm and intentionally addressing the situation can help ensure a better outcome, medically and legally, if you have been injured. If you or a loved one have been injured in a pedestrian accident, the taking the following steps is advisable”
- Remain calm and move any vehicles off of the street. If any vehicle remains in the flow of traffic, it is usually advisable for the driver to move it off of the street. This will lessen the likelihood of a subsequent accident. You should also render any emergency aid to injured persons until medical personnel arrives.
- Gather and record relevant information. In addition to getting the driver’s name, address, and insurance information, you should gather as much information from the accident scene as possible. Taking pictures of the scene, the vehicles involved, and any injuries sustained can benefit any future legal action. It is also advisable to get the name and contact information for any witnesses or bystanders at the scene.
- Contact the authorities. It is possible that a witness to the accident has already contacted emergency services. If not, you should contact law enforcement. The responding officer will write a police report which may be crucial to an insurance settlement or a legal proceeding.
- Seek medical attention. If you sustained a serious injury in a pedestrian accident, you may be taken directly from the accident scene to the hospital. In less serious situations, you can follow up with the appropriate medical professionals in the days following the accident. However, you should not delay long. Obtaining a timely medical diagnosis will not only help ensure maximum medical recovery, but it will also provide a documented link between the accident and your injuries. Keeping copies of all of your medical records is essential for documenting proof of your damages in any legal proceeding.
- Contact a pedestrian accident attorney. An experienced pedestrian accident attorney can help you navigate the complicated legal and insurance arenas necessary to receiving compensation for your injuries.
Contact a Houston Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you are looking for legal advice regarding a pedestrian accident in Houston, TX, please contact the experienced lawyers at Khattar Law, PC. Call us at (210) 923-1234 and fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation and get help as soon as possible.