Car accidents are scary enough. However, when another driver in the collision leaves the scene, those fears are multiplied. Following a hit-and-run accident, many victims worry that there will be no one to compensate them for medical costs or lost wages. The feeling that someone hurt you and got away with it can be incredibly frustrating.
Whether the fleeing driver has been located or not, if you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident in Houston, you have rights. Contact one of our experienced lawyers at Khattar Law, PC for a consultation right away.
The Main Steps to Take After Hit and Run Accident in Houston
In the case of a hit-and-run accident, certain steps should be taken to ensure the safety, health, and legal rights of the victims.
- Ensure your immediate safety. In the moments following a hit-and-run, your primary concern should be your safety and the safety of any other passengers. This can include moving your vehicle to a safe location or calling 911 for police or medical assistance.
- Gather evidence. If you are able, document any information about the driver or automobile that left the scene. A plate number, vehicle description, or details about the driver could help locate the fleeing driver after the fact. You should also document any witnesses at or near the scene and take pictures of any property damage or physical injury. Nearby homes and businesses may also have doorbell cameras or security cameras that can assist in identifying the fleeing driver.
- Contact the police. Even where no injuries occur, it is important to contact the police in the case of a hit and run. When it becomes available, get a copy of the police report. This may be critical in collecting any insurance settlement.
- Seek medical attention. In a serious accident, someone may call 911 directly from the scene. With less serious, or less obvious, injuries, you should follow up with a medical professional as soon as possible following the accident. Seeking prompt medical care will not only protect your future health prospects but also create necessary medical documentation for any future legal action. Without this medical documentation, it will be very difficult to prove your injuries.
- Notify your insurance company. If possible, notify your insurance company within 24 hours of a hit-and-run. This is especially important considering that in many hit-and-run cases, the fleeing driver is never found and the injured party has to file an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim.
Contact Houston Hit and Run Attorney at Khattar Law, PC
If you are looking for legal advice regarding a hit-and-run accident in Houston, TX, please contact the experienced lawyers at Khattar Law, PC. Call us at 210-822-4595 and fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation and get help as soon as possible.